I have no doubt that you are all keeping on top of the latest developments with regards to Coronavirus and this email is to update you on what we are doing here at Queen’s.
Our main priority over the coming days and weeks is to keep the Club open for Members as much as possible. With this in mind, we have cancelled a number of external events which would have resulted in a significant number of non-Members coming in and using the Member areas of the Club. The aim is to try to reduce the risk of transmission here as much as possible. As you would expect we have increased the intensity of our cleaning regime and are regularly cleaning known touchpoints such as door handles with an anti-viral disinfectant. Given that the Club is a place where a lot of people come and go we cannot, of course, guarantee anything and Members should exercise their own judgement as to whether to come into Queen’s over the coming period.
I am sure you will appreciate and understand that events in the coming days and weeks may necessitate either a reduction in service levels, the closure of certain facilities or, in extremis, the closure of the Club. This may be as a result of either government advice or reduced staffing levels. We will make every effort to ensure that the courts remain open and accessible to Members even if other areas of the Club are required or need to close.
A number of you have employers who have asked you to work from home. We would ask politely that you do not come and use the Grille as your temporary office. Aside from the way this would change the ambience of the Grille, if everyone comes and uses the Grille for this purpose it rather defeats the purpose of working from home.
Last Thursday (12th March) the UK moved to the Delay phase of its Contingency Planning to help combat the spread of the Coronavirus which I am sure you all know by now means the following:
- If you have a new persistent cough and/or a high temperature then you must stay at home for at least 7 days
- Consequently, you must not enter the Club if you are displaying either of these symptoms
Additionally, we are maintaining our existing restriction on access to the Club to those of you who have recently returned from Italy within the last 14 days irrespective of symptoms.
I have no doubt that in the coming days advice will evolve and I will let you know how this will affect the running of the Club as and when appropriate. In the meantime we will be waiving late court cancellation fees if you call and let us know within the 72 hour time frame that you are unable to make the booking due to self-isolation.
Lastly up-to-date government advice can be found at www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
The following advice still holds true:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get to the Club
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available – we have a number of pumps around the Club. For the health and safety of your fellow Members please do not remove or move these pumps.
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Please stay safe.